Seizure duration depends on what kind of seizure it is. It can last less than one minute, and in some cases more than 3 minutes. Helping the person experiencing seizure the right way is of essence.
Here are quick tips to remember to help someone who’s having a seizure:
- Stay calm: Panicking or losing your composure can make the situation worse.
- Remove all hazards around the person experiencing seizure.
- Carefully guide the person to the floor and gently roll the person on his/her side.
- Do not put anything in the person’s mouth
- Allow the person to freely drool.
- If needed, clear secretions after the episode.
- Seek medical assistance